Monday, September 26, 2005

Michael Jackson

Each Monday, the students who have the privilege to be with me in "enrichment time" (aka "remediation for those who are failing") get to reflect on character education or study skills. This week's character education asked them to consider the differences between reputation and character.

In particular, they were told to consider someone who had a good reputation but inevitably displayed bad character, and write about how their minds changed about that person.

"I don't get it," they said.

I explained that they might want to choose someone famous who once had everyone's respect, and then lost it.

"Like Michael Jackson!" one said.

"Sure. Like Michael Jackson," replied their instructor.

They became suddenly spirited in their conversation, and all was going well until they began to discuss Michael Jackson's skin color.

"He was alright until he started bleaching himself."

"Yeah, no offense, but he totally wants to look like us, right, Miss G?"

One girl looked at me in surprise, then back to the girl who had spoken. "Miss G's not white."

I wasn't quite sure what to say. "I am," I said. What I was thinking was, is there anyone who is more "white"? And more importantly, what difference does it make?

My student could not be convinced; it apparently meant very much to her. "But you're not all the way white. There's definitely some not-white. Where're you from?"

And that is today's commentary on the social creation of race. Thank you.

1 comment:

Steve said...

That was the perfect time to tell them you were an extraterrestrial.