Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Brief Dreams of Insomniacs

Since returning to Virginia, I've been plagued by insomnia. I stay awake for hours at night, rolling to look at the clock every so often and watch the hours ticking by.

Why can't I sleep? I wish I knew. I've been working hard to get my apartment organized, and I've been approaching the task with more than my usual vigor. I've started writing aggressively, since I now think I have a better direction for my planned series of essays on love, and a decent idea for a novel. And it's true that a certain man I'm rather fond of is due back in the United States in six days. (He was originally supposed to be back this past Sunday [edit cranky thoughts here]).

Last night, I actually got a few hours of sleep. My dream:

A ham sandwich (thinly sliced, on white bread), floating before a backdrop of soft pink and gray clouds. As I watched it, the sandwich would rotate slightly, so that I could look at it from a variety of angles. Yes, that was the entire dream, and yes, it went on for a while--until my lucid dreaming kicked in and I said, "Woah. I'm dreaming about a ham sandwich. I should wake up."

I have enjoyed some ham sandwiches in my lifetime, but not enough to dream about them. And I haven't found myself overly craving ham since becoming Muslim.

So, my questions:

1. Does anyone know any good cures for insomnia?
2. What do you think this dream means, if it's worth interpreting at all?

Happy sleeping to you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tylenol PM or nyquil. Insomnia has been going around this week. Monday and Tuesday for me. (Monday Tuesday and Wednesday for my co worker). I finally got a cold so I took some nyquil and slept like a baby almost the whole night till I started to cough again. Then I took some regular cough syrup and slept the rest of the night.

Hugs,

Thinking of you,

Meg
Who has been trying to write for like a month with no success.

Greta and Waddles! said...

Thanks for the hints, Meg. I was about thisclose to buying sleeping pills.

I finally did get some sleep on Thursday, but waking up again on Friday was just miserable.

I hope the writing gets better for you. I always like to think of being in-between writing as "collection time".