Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Strange Light and a Vertical Rainbow, or How We Wrecked My Sister's Car

The good news is, nobody got hurt, unless you count my really sore neck, which I do.

This is especially good news because, knowing my sister and the fact that she did very little but learn karate for two years, there would have been some butt-kicking going on.

How did we wreck the car? That depends entirely on whom you're asking. Either I had "no idea where I was going" because I'm from "out of town," and I used a right turn signal and began to turn right when suddenly I veered to the left, and that's why the backwards-baseball-cap-wearing guy hit us.

Or.

I was turning left, which I've done probably a hundred times in going to either Pittsburgh or Virginia from my parents' house, and he hit us.

Regardless, the punk was trying to pass me in an intersection, which strikes me as perhaps the wrong thing.

However, on the way back from the scene of the incident (the car was still driveable), we did see the sky turn the darkest shade of blue I've ever seen, forefronted with white clouds; the trees turning red with their first budding leaves; the landscape turning pale orange with the strange light from the gathering storms; one perfect rainbow curving across the sky; another, later, shooting straight up into the clouds.

I would never have imagined feeling so content while driving in a damaged car. Grateful, maybe, but not content. But I was. I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Except maybe a new car for my sister.

No comments: