Friday, May 26, 2006

Turtle Crossing

As I turned onto the dirt road where I live, I said to myself, "That's a big rock in the road."

Then I realized. It wasn't a rock at all. It was a turtle.

A cuddly, adorable, plodding little turtle.

I braked the car, put it in park, and clicked on the four-way lights, intent on saving my shelled friend from a highly-unlikely-yet-possible demise. I was vaguely nervous because I'd never picked up a turtle.

As my shadow fell over him, he shuddered, and began to pull his legs and head inside the shell. "Cute!" I thought. I bent down and picked him up. I had expected the turtle would be heavier. I thought I felt him breathe--or maybe his heart beating. He must have known, as I set him down in the grass on the other side of the road, that I was a friend, because he began to emerge from the shell even before I put him on the ground.

Saving turtles feels good, it turns out.

Otherwise, I've signed a contract to work here in Culpeper next year, since in my fifty million interviews I didn't manage to land a position anywhere. (I suspect all the offers will be coming in now that I've signed.) It's depressing, but I don't see that I could have made a different choice.

Some day, I may have other, important news, but for now, it's turtles, turtles, stupid job, turtles, turtles.

2 comments:

Richard Parent said...

Congrats... er, So sorry to hear about... um, way to go... well, it's a shame...

Oh to hell with it.

Sorry that you're feeling "stuck" in Culpepper, but yay for having a job. How about that for symp-ambiva-lations.

On a slighly related note, have you read Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terebithia? It probably won't make you feel any better about Culpepper, but it'll probably give you a good, cathartic cry.

And that's nice, too, sometimes.

Not as nice as saving turtles. But what is?

Greta and Waddles! said...

There is really nothing as nice as saving a turtle. I saved another one on Saturday. I should list it as a hobby.

Staying in Culpeper sucks mightily, but I have a strong reason to believe I might be making a big move next year. Can't say why. It's a secret.

I read Bridge to Terabitha when I was but a wee tyke. I always tell my students to read it. I have no recollection whatsoever of what happens. Maybe I can reread? When my Jonathan Safran Foer marathon is over, anyway.