Sunday, July 02, 2006

Chocolate Milk

It's been a typical Sunday. Wake up. Walk the dog. Watch Meet the Press. (This is usually for the purpose of watching Tim Russert calling out politicians on their hypocrisies. Tim wasn't on today. Andrea Mitchell was a good substitute, but it wasn't the same. I deeply adore Tim, and I may be the only woman in America who feels that way. Chime in on your Tim fetish, if you have one.)

I had lunch with my friends who are sisters (this is a deviation from normal routine). I bought a newspaper. Went to the gym. Did my now standard daily hour of cardio, lifted weights. Watched the fat on my thighs, mocking me, refusing to budge.

And when I came home, what I wanted, more than anything else, was a glass of chocolate milk.

The last time I had chocolate milk, I had shown up on my friend's doorstep, bawling, because the night before, I'd told my boyfriend (ring nestled in his pocket) that I didn't want to marry him. You wouldn't necessarily think that turning someone else down would hurt, but it did. Terribly. I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to do but talk to my friend, so I'd called him in the morning, afraid I wouldn't catch him before he left town.

I had reasons for not wanting to get married. The longer my relationship lasted, the more I felt it was compressing me, turning me into someone smaller. Someone I didn't recognize. My ex-boyfriend (a great friend now, someone I respect) and I had little in common. He had expectations for who I should be, how I should behave, that I knew I couldn't live up to.

That, and it was obvious to just about everyone that it was my friend that my inner heart yearned for.

My friend held me in the doorway to his apartment building, didn't complain about the snot and tears on the front of his shirt. He took me inside, made me a glass of chocolate milk, and held my hand while I cried.

And that's the fairy tale ending: the girl leaves the boyfriend, waits, waits, waits, and somehow, her friend finally sees what everyone else sees. I wish everyone could have that moment, when you practically expect to see cameras and boom mikes there to catch the finale, so unexpected it could not be real.

But a moment is only a moment. I know that I rarely discuss love any more. What could I say about it? I really wish that I did have it all figured out (sorry, Richard).

Some days are better than others. Some days are awful. Mostly, there's nothing to say. In the past year, I've spent approximately twelve days with him. And this is what I did not expect: there are still expectations, compromises. And I believe that some expectations should exist--that we should be kind, loving, compassionate, patient, understanding, that we should clean up our own messes, that we should listen to each other. Still, what do you do when someone else's expectations for you are not the ones that you have for yourself?

Maybe it's not a typical Sunday. I'm here, in humid Virginia, thinking about a man very far away whom I love and desire. Probably I'll take Radar down to the stream and scout for turtles, log a few more pages in my alleged novel, and wait for enlightenment to come. I already drank the last of the milk.

2 comments:

Richard Parent said...

I got nothing that can match that.

But I just want to say (in my own defense, and in a completely self-serving way) that I never expected to see the answer to Love, the Universe, and Everything here.

Which is not to say that Sanuvia is incapable of such a feat. If anyone could do it, she could.

It's to say that: A) the journey is more important, and more entertaining and informative to those of us on the outside, than the destination; and B) if you do reach the destination of Ultimate Love Wisdom, for god's sake, woman, put it in a book and then sell the film rights for MILLIONS. With residuals. Don't be blogging it here for free.

:-)

But here's a little (very little) nugget of substantive thought -- is it possible to have love without expectations? Is it possible to love someone without expecting certain things of and from them? Should it be? Is that love? I mean, how the hell do we negotiate the line between "I accept you as you are" and "I want only the best for you (which includes the things you do to and for yourself)"?

Plato has an answer for that, but it requires old-dude-on-hot-young-guy action, so you x-chromosome-enhanced-Americans are kinda out of luck.

Greta and Waddles! said...

Maybe it's like a teeter-totter, and there's some balance that you can strike between how much you expect and how much you accept. For example, I expect my Person to communicate with me every day. Our relationship would fall to pieces pretty quickly if that didn't happen. However, I accept it if all his relatives drop by and he can't talk to me. I expect him to say the wrong thing sometimes, and that sometimes I will, too. Love is a cyclical act of forgiveness (but even that has its own terms and conditions, doesn't it?).

I do think that if you are expecting people to alter themselves significantly for you in a way that feels detrimental to their personhood, then perhaps you expect too much. If they can never be good enough for you, then how could they ever be happy?

I think that generally Significant Person and I are pretty balanced people. What we are running up against are Religious Expectations, specifically dealing with what female people are supposed to wear. I debated and debated whether to go into this in the original post, but I think I need to do a little more research and then write all about female Islamic clothing traditions and why they make me panic like nothing else (see January archives for an example).