Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Recap and Survey

Snapshot (with sound, motion):

The dehumidifier with its mild indigestion. Dog whining. The usual disarray of my life--empty used mugs and glasses, ripped-open envelopes, a pack of green apple sugarless gum (quite good). So good I actually decide to have some and, miraculously, throw the wrapper away. A photograph of Significant Person, smiling last summer in Powhatan, VA. A ticket stub from a movie he took me to see, also last summer. Scraps of paper with e-mail addresses. Receipts. Digital audio recorder. Paper clip. Lip balm (passionfruit). The detritus of bachlorettehood, loneliness, disorganization.

I've had a busy several days. Little Sister (AKA "Yavie"--the Elvish word for her real name [we were raised Nerd]) came to visit and see a Switchfoot concert with me last week. Yes, Switchfoot is a Christian rock band, and I'm not terribly Christian. Neither is Yavie. They are appealing to me for several reasons:

1. Great chord progressions (the music major in me loves a skillful key change)
2. Interesting and complex lyrics
3. They never mention Jesus per se
4. Significant Person introduced me to them, so they induce Nostalgia

Actually, I asked Significant Person to name the five greatest American rock bands (this used to be my standard ice breaker) shortly after we met, and Switchfoot was on his list. Then he played me "Only Hope," which was his favorite song back then. (Is it now?) I was hooked.

The concert, being held outdoors, was delayed for two hours by torrential downpours. Despite our umbrellas, Yavie and I were soaked, mostly likely because the wind was blowing horizontally. Finally, the rain let up, to a backdrop of rainbow.

Yes, it was a good concert (much better live than recorded, Switchfoot is). I loved watching the sea of soaked and muddy people--parents with their children propped on their shoulders, lovers pressed wetly in each other's arms. I felt the compression of loneliness in my chest, how much I wished that Significant Person would have been there with me, even though I'm not sure of his opinions about music in general these days.

But I had my adorable little sister. Who could feel real sorrow?

Although, granted, everything is tempered. The one thing that I can't stop thinking about is watching the news last week, and seeing a story where a solitary victim of a rocket explosion lay in a field, flattened, almost like a spot of oil. Not even human. A woman in a bomb shelter nearby kept trying to call her husband on her cell phone, but he wouldn't answer. Eventually, they could hear ringing from the field.

How do we negotiate our lives in the face of such violence and grief? We move. We have to.

And so Radar visited the veterinarian on Monday for his check-up, and then I had to rescue my Sister Friends from Syria (VA), where they had ended up as a result of a wrong turn in Shenandoah National Park. (Once, when Significant Person was in Syria, I drove to my Syria, as though five letters could cross the distance between us.)

Today I had a more or less complete physical, including blood work and nasty female examinations. I found it amazing that I could carry on a perfectly ordinary conversation with the doctor while wearing, essentially, a piece of paper. Tomorrow, I'm supposed to get my very own HPV vaccination.

None of this should suggest that my whirlwind of luscious sadness has passed, since it seems only to thicken. I could ask you the questions that I'm considering myself, but they seem so private (and it should be apparent that I don't find much to be private).

I would be really interested to see some lists of your opinions of the Five Greatest American Rock Bands, though. Only American. Forget the Beatles, the Stones.

Seriously. I'm waiting. I could use the distraction, couldn't you?

8 comments:

Richard Parent said...

Okay, I'm going to answer, but you're not going to like it.

In my mind, the 5 greatest American "rock" bands are (in alphabetical order):

Blondie
Billy Idol
Green Day
Nine Inch Nails
The Smithereens

Now, I know that list isn't really about "rawk," but I don't listen to much rawk. Seriously. And when I do, it's mostly post-punk neo-techno angry-teenager music. And a heck of a lot of it (I just learned, looking through my iTunes library) is British and/or European.

Also making my list are:

B-52s
Go-Gos
Madonna
Mamas & the Papas
Prince (in his "& the Revolution" and "& the New Power Generation" modes)

See? Not very rawk-ish.

Now, I know I should include people like:

Bruce Springsteen
Jefferson Airplane
Nirvana

But really. I just can't. I can't get into The Boss (even though I bought his 9/11 album), I only really like "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" from Jefferson Airplane (and don't even get me started on Starship!), and the more I hear Nirvana on the radio, the more I'm left wondering WTF?! Sure, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Rape Me," and "Heart-Shaped Box" are excellent songs. But the rest are self-indulgent, whiny messes. They're like Pearl Jam after X.

Oh, add Pearl Jam to that last list. But only their X album. The rest are self-indulgent, whiny messes.

Greta and Waddles! said...

Actually, Richard, I highly approve of your list here. I would be inclined normally to veto the solo artists on your list (Billy Idol, Madonna, Prince), but I think it's good to have them there are conversation pieces.

Plus, you didn't mention the Eagles. Or Fleetwood Mac. I still respect you immensely.

Also, I used to feel the way you do about Springsteen until I heard "The Ghost of Tom Joad." Not the whole album (which was kind of boring) but that song. I could understand him then.

I usually do include Nirvana on my List, largely because of their Influence over the rock scene.

Interestingly, in any of my inquiries, no one has ever mentioned the particular band that I created this game for. I saw a commercial for (band name) claiming that they were "The Greatest American Rock Band." I said, "Hardly."

I hope other people play this game. I want to see if someone actually names them this time.

Richard Parent said...

Ooh. I have no idea what band you're actually referring to, but I have something to say about The Eagles.

They're sooooooooo dull. I *love* "Hotel California" and "Life in the Fast Lane" and "Dirty Laundry," but I think only 1 of those is actually The Eagles. Anyway, when the whole group gets together, they seem to just sort of putz around in mellow-land. Yawn. (Even if they are the best-selling album of all time.)

But I do like Fleetwood Mac. I should have included them. But I really, really, really like Lindsay Buckingham. His solo accoustic version of "Big Love" is totally, insanely, awesome. It could be your theme song, San. I'm not sure how much of my love for Linday transfers over to the whole band (much like my love for Don Henley).

Sigh.

So, who is it? Who's the mystery band?

Steve said...

This game is hard. I don't listen to a whole lot that can be described as "rock".

1. Patti Smith - solo, but seriously, how could you not include her?
2. Green Day - my opinion of them totally changed with American Idiot.
3. Nirvana - hugely influential, as we said.
4. Metallica - horrible lyrics, annoying songs, but again ridiculously influential.
5. Um. Soundgarden? I keep naming groups I hate. Also my age is definitely showing in this list.

I'm really, really hoping the answer you're looking for is not Aerosmith.

Upon review, I'd like to just include my first two or three answers and pretend the rest of the list never happened.

Steve said...

I asked Brent for his opinion. Here's his list:

The Doors
Velvet Underground
REM
Nirvana
Jane's Addiction

Runners-up:
The Mamas and the Papas, Jefferson Starship, The Grateful Dead, The Ramones, The Stooges, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails

Anonymous said...

VU
REM
Janis Joplin (solo, but so what, there was a band somewhere behind all that screaming)
Talking Heads, also not rock, but inf.

Insert 5th bad here

-me

Greta and Waddles! said...

For those of you nervous that your band isn't rock: it's a loose category. If it has more than two members, go ahead and list it.

Brent's list is very close to my own list. However, my taste in music is highly suspect, having been raised almost exclusively on Van Halen and Journey. ("Jump" was my favorite song as a three-year-old. Open to suggestion, I would, well, jump.)

Also: Steve, if you'd said Aerosmith, I would have driven across the country to kick you in the head. Nothing against Aerosmith. My mom saw them in concert when she was a tyke and said they were AWFUL. I'm prejudiced on account of her opinion.

Plus, they suck.

Anonymous said...

Nine Inch Nails is awesome
Soundgarden is awesome
Nirvana sucks
Metallica sucks