Friday, February 16, 2007

Positive Self-Therapy Results

It is now the fourth snow day in a row for my school district. The roads are largely clear, although the ground itself is covered in a layer of frozen slush inches thick. It looks like snow, but it is, in fact, merely a snow imposter.

What have I been doing on my days off? Largely, I've been drinking liquids and staying in bed to combat the sinus infection I woke up with on Tuesday. But I've also been working diligently at my Getting Over Him Campaign.

The Campaign entails:

1. Finish CD.
2. Look fabulous.
3. Search for new man.

Where does a girl go to look for a man in Culpeper, Virginia? Since everyone in Culpeper is either married or unappealing, I decided to look online. This would horrify The Ex, because he felt it was imperative that I look exclusively in the Muslim community for a new man.

Right. Because that worked out so well the last time.

(What I am thankful for, in the absence of an impending wedding, is the luxury I now have to explore my own religious inclinations without having someone breathing down my neck explaining everything that I should be. I never really desired to be more Muslim than I ever saw The Ex being back in the day. Therefore, that is what I am going to do, in addition to considering dating non-Muslims.)

I figured that, by looking around for men online, I could get a sense of what was out there. At the very least, I thought I could reenter my single life knowing there are, in fact, men out there in the world who are decent, intelligent and single. I needed to have that kind of hope. After the break-up, I was consumed with the notion that all of the good men were taken, and I would be left alone, childless, and wrinkly.

It should be noted that I engaged in a similar project in the summer of 2002, and that I know how to operate with caution. I made a friend that summer that I still keep in contact with. If I could find one more good friend, I thought, I would consider the therapy a success.

I have learned several things during my snow days. First and foremost, there are still good men out there--interesting men with proficient grammar skills. If I play my cards correctly, I may end up wrinkly in someone's company.

Secondly, I've learned that there are some real duds out there. For example, a man wrote to me to see if I was interested in him, even though he had listed "brainiacs" as his one and only turn-off. I responded to let him know that I was very much a brainiac, and that he probably wouldn't like me. He wrote back, "i dont care that you got brains."

Well, then.

The last story is superseded only by the man who listed, under three things he could not live without: Sexual Touching. Yikes!

Lastly, I have a definite crush. I like my crush. It's like a fledgling bird that I have to cradle in my hands to protect it.

Evidence exists that my crush is not a one-sided crush.

More details as they become available.

No comments: