Saturday, December 22, 2007

a thousand endings

It was just that I made a self-destructive choice, and I didn't want to talk about it.

And I felt stupid, for falling in love and being tossed aside a week later. Because I couldn't make him love me back. Because I felt somehow that I should have known already that I'm not someone to inspire passion.

Because the night I met him, I knew he could wreck me, and I chose it.

Because I kept talking to him, nightly, even knowing how he didn't feel, nestling into the comfortable web of his words, even though I knew I was offering myself up for injury twice.

A decade later, I keep doing this, allowing a man to be my best friend. My epidemic. My sweet little contagion.

By now, I should know better. When I can hear my tiny disasters creeping up the front steps, I should greet them and breathe, invite them inside. I shouldn't flinch when the walls begin to crumble.

I know what happens when a man who doesn't love you takes up residence in your heart, how fragile it is. I know that sometimes, suddenly, he'll decide to love you. But usually, you wait, knowing one day that you will look down and find his little space in your heart vacated, all the windows boarded.

Nailed-up little heart. The hammer in my hands.

6 comments:

CocoStrange said...

I was so happy to see a post up after all this time, and then so sad to read it. Your description is lovely, just the same. You're in my thoughts. XOXO.

Anonymous said...

Hey. Just stumbled across this by accident. Sounds like something I could have written myself. I have a similar bruise, still rather fresh, and I know how you feel.
Hang in there sweetie, & Happy New Year. May objects in your rearview mirror be smaller than they appear.
mgreen
Tallahassee, Florida

Anonymous said...

I still think you rock.

Someday I will tell you what became of the fireworks you bought me.

Greta and Waddles! said...

Ah, Attic Man. You also rock.

I would love to hear of the fireworks.

I'm very lucky to have such wondrous friends and strangers reading about my little tragedies.

I'm going to try to be a better friend this year. Really, I am. It's on my resolutions list.

Anonymous said...

Awww my friend. I am so sorry. What a hard thing to face. If you need to talk email me and we can update our phone numbers and chat.

Hugs

M.

Hrach_Garden said...

You make my heart ache for you. Miss you. Give me a call sometime. I have a little man I want you to meet. Or that I want to meet you.

-Tiff