Saturday, March 22, 2008

I Still Love You, Brian Krakow

For Christmas, my baby sister and husband purchased the My So-Called Life DVD box set, which I have finally gotten around to watching. Apparently, at once point I declared this to be my favorite television show, hence the gift.

I do love it. Even though I wasn't really anything like Angela as a teenager (excepting the flannel, which--give me credit--I am woman enough to admit to), there was something so universal about her longing and awkwardness that made me believe, at the time, that I practically was Angela.

In retrospect, I think I understand what I really liked about the show back then. Brian Krakow. Why, in my life, did I never have a curly-haired nerd on a bicycle living next door? Believe me, I would not have been mooning over Jordan Catalano if I'd had Brian in front of me. I hope.

Random factoid: Devon Gummersall, who played Brian, guest-starred on one of my other favorite angsty television shows, Roswell. He married one of the actresses from that show, Majandra Delfino. (Steve, are you reading this? Brian Krakow married Maria!)

So, well, I guess he's unavailable. Which frankly sucks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Majandra. I saw her randomly as I flipped past some "Scream" parody the other day and was horrified. Why O why has she not become the new Britney as was promised?

I would moon over Jordan Catalano no matter what, personally. It's a tragic character flaw on my part.

- Steve

Richard Parent said...

Steve's right -- Jordan is insanely moon-worthy.

But yes, Majandra's music career totally should have been (should become?) much bigger than it is. Sigh.

And I didn't know anyone else on the planet enjoyed Roswell. Oh, Max...

Greta and Waddles! said...

Richard, my already high estimate of you just soared into the stratosphere. Roswell was seriously the greatest show ever--at least until Tess showed up.

I mean, I own the entire series of books. And they're not even any good.

I have a theory about Majandra's singing career, which I will share because two people actually know what I'm talking about. Did you ever visit the website for the album? It was all this creepy gothic kewpie doll imagery. And the songs kind of went with the tone of the creepy dolls.

It just wasn't the sort of thing that would go mainstream.

Apparently, she's starring in Quarterlife, which I intended to watch, but went to sleep instead.