Monday, February 05, 2007

Wind Chill Delay

Given the blessing of a two hour wind chill delay tomorrow morning, I thought I would take this opportunity to reflect on some of the events--and triumphs!--that have occurred in the last two weeks, since I've been single.

First of all, just moments ago, I finally managed to get the sock out of the vacuum cleaner. It took about an hour of adjusting a coat hanger with a pair of pliers. That's the triumph part. I like knowing that I'm a young woman who can figure something like this out without too much assistance.

As luck would have it, Valentine's Day looms around the corner. While I was shopping this weekend, I couldn't help but notice all the signs for bridal shows, all the glittery jewelry sales. All the couples walking hand-in-hand. But I don't actually feel angry or bitter. This may be because the best Valentine's Day of my life remains the time that I was in Toronto, eating at Burger King with my (then) best friend Mike. When the height of Valentine's Day romance for you happened with somebody who doesn't find girls sexually attractive, it's hard to be disappointed.

Valentine's Day. The other teachers at school are throwing a bridal shower for the other two girls in my hallway who are engaged. It was supposed to have been my party, too. Hence, the guidance counselor pulled me into her office to warn me in advance, and make sure that I was okay enough to handle it.

Of course, whenever anyone asks me if I'm okay, I burst into tears. I could win the lottery, and if someone asked me that question, I'd still cry. After getting my head examined for a while, she pronounced that I am dealing in positive ways with my hurt.

Here are some ways that I am doing this.

1. Eating chocolate.
2. Talking to my friends.
3. Taking mini-vacations.
4. Exercising.
5. Snuggling with my dog.
6. Writing.
7. Reading good books.
8. Napping.
9. Taking baths with fizzy bath salts and confetti.
10. Buying fuzzy socks.
11. Watching romantic comedies. And Million Dollar Baby.
12. Developing an inexplicable crush on Clint Eastwood.
13. Cruising the internet for available men.
14. Planning parties for five hundred middle school students. I am not making this up. It was actually a big success.
15. Organizing a mixed CD of break-up songs (forthcoming).
16. Applying for new jobs and prestigious writing fellowships, just for fun.
17. Staying hydrated.

I am wondering: A. If anyone has any other suggestions that have been helpful for them in dealing with the end of a relationship and B. If you might have any song ideas to contribute to my CD compilation.

And, please, stay warm.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

B: "I'm Doing Fine" by Colin Hay

Anonymous said...

Come Visit me. Or can I come visit you? I have a new puppy. And big news.

Greta and Waddles! said...

I do enjoy that Colin Hay song on the Garden State soundtrack. I'll download this one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Any other ideas?

Anonymous said...

Here are a few more:

"February" Dar Williams
"I Love, I Love" Dar Williams
"Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" David Gray
"Ain't Life a Brook" Ferron
"Rain" Patty Griffin
"Baker Baker" Tori Amos
"Best I Ever Had" Vertical Horizon
"Goodbye my Lover" James Blunt
"Traveling Again" Dar Williams
"Motorcycle Drive By" Third Eye Blind
"Landed" Ben Folds

Greta and Waddles! said...

Interestingly enough, most of these songs I've used on prior CDs. I do a nice version of "Rain" on the piano, also.

Thanks for the help. I like your taste in music. It's nice to know how many Dar Williams fans are really out there.

Fridaypeach said...

You could always come to Seatte and I can show you about.

Anonymous said...

Anything from PJ Harvey, Trouble in Guyville is the album, I think.

Greta and Waddles! said...

I've always meant to come to Seattle. I've never been there.